Fernie Arts, Shopping & Entertainment
After your day of adventure or for those looking for less active pursuits, Fernie offers a great variety of entertainment options. Keep in mind that Fernie’s historic downtown is only a 5-minute walk from the front door of the Park Place Lodge.
- Shopping. Fernie’s unique historical downtown core carries a full range of shops & services
- Fernie’s Historical Walking Tour
- Fernie Arts Station. Housed in a beautifully restored train depot, the station is the core of Fernie’s art community featuring local artisans, plays and live performances
- Dining. In addition to Max Restaurant, other establishments such as Loaf, the Livery and Curry Bowl, are giving the community a well deserved reputation for unique dining experiences.
- Bars & Nightclubs. In addition to the Pub, there are several other popular nightspots, many featuring dancing and live entertainment.
- Fernie’s Vogue Theatre.
- Fernie’s Indoor Aquatic Centre – complete with a great waterslide for the kids
- Ghostriders Junior Hockey
Fernie is a community that is rich in heritage and history. The Ktunaxa used the valley for centuries as a hunting and transit territory until the discovery of coal in the 1890’s brought the first European settlers to the Valley. The formation of the Crowsnest Pass Coal Company and the arrival of the railway in 1898 made Fernie the centre of the valley. A small fire that started on April 29, 1904 in Richards General Store soon burned the business core of the company town to the ground. This led to the incorporation of The City of Fernie shortly thereafter. Four years later, a second and much more devastating fire ripped through Fernie leaving only 32 buildings standing. Out of the ashes of that fire arose, as required by the new city, magnificent buildings of brick and stone. These buildings have stood the test of time with many of them still standing today as a solid reminder of Fernie’s past.
Want to learn more about Fernie’s history and unique heritage downtown core? The Tourism Fernie Website is a fantastic resource for all things Fernie!