Fernie Arts, Shopping & Entertainment
After your day of adventure or for those looking for less active pursuits, Fernie offers a great variety of entertainment options. Keep in mind that Fernie’s historic downtown is only a 5-minute walk from the front door of the Park Place Lodge.
- Shopping. Fernie’s unique historical downtown core carries a full range of shops & services
- Fernie’s Historical Walking Tour
- Fernie Arts Station. Housed in a beautifully restored train depot, the station is the core of Fernie’s art community featuring local artisans, plays and live performances
- Dining. In addition to Max Restaurant, other establishments such as Loaf, the Livery and Curry Bowl, are giving the community a well deserved reputation for unique dining experiences.
- Bars & Nightclubs. In addition to the Pub, there are several other popular nightspots, many featuring dancing and live entertainment.
- Fernie’s Vogue Theatre.
- Fernie’s Indoor Aquatic Centre – complete with a great waterslide for the kids
- Ghostriders Junior Hockey
Fernie is a community that is rich in heritage and history. With its roots planted in the coal mining industry, Fernie came into being in 1898 when the railroad came through this region. Formal incorporation took place in 1904, but this wasn’t the only significant event to happen that year as a fire raged through the city nearly wiping it out. Four years later, a second and more devastating fire ripped through Fernie leaving only 32 buildings standing. Out of the ashes arose a new approach to the City and buildings of brick and stone became the landscape of the downtown core. Many of these buildings still exist today, giving Fernie a unique heritage component.